Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Log Slide to Au Sable Lighthouse Hike--Post 1

Yesterday was a beautiful day in Grand Marais.  There was a slight wind from the south with sunny skies and temperatures in the upper 50s early in the morning to the low 70s later in the day.  I went hiking with friends, Clare and Mark.  We discussed several possible hikes but selected the trail that leads from the Log Slide to Au Sable Point in the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore.   This is the longest hike that I've tried since hurting my shoulder.  It went fairly well since I was able to take rest breaks when needed.

I've been hearing that the fall colors are more developed away from the shoreline, but we certainly have some trees with leaves that have turned.


Sable Lake...



Trail from the parking lot to the Log Slide....



Clare, Mark, and me....


The Grand Sable Banks....




Au Sable Lighthouse (from the Log Slide)....



Around a mile and a quarter down the trail, we climbed down to the shoreline section that I call "Jacobsville Beach."  Since the lake level is up almost 20 inches, we are not able at this point to walk out onto the sandstone shelf.


A freighter on the horizon...


Clare exploring the rocky beach...



No comments:

Post a Comment